Subscribe to our list!

Low-FODMAP Taco Salad

Low-FODMAP Taco Salad

Lately I’ve been sticking to my clean-eating habits and getting strict with my diet and it has truly made a difference. Before I was feeling exhausted, run down, and all out of whack. That’s when I decided to get myself in gear and get back to what I know.

With that “kick in the pants” has come a reminder of why I love to eat more clean, unprocessed foods. I feel brighter, more awake, and lighter. Not only is the feeling great, but my guy is very thankful and life seems to fall back into place. I don’t get too restrictive, but I do my best to follow an 80/20 balance- fresh fruits and veggies and lean protein 80% of the time and indulging myself the other 20% of the time. Life is too short to be so strict 🙂.

When I want to get in some fresh, crisp vegetables, a salad is always my go-to. I’ve been trying to buy organic produce when I can, which has led to more salads. The organic vegetables truly do have a lot more flavor, or maybe it’s just the trick your mind plays because it knows you’re doing what’s right for your body.

I decided to combine full flavors with crisp vegetables in this taco salad, being sure it was low-FODMAP, gluten-free and dairy-free to stick with my dietitian-approved diet.

First, brown the ground turkey in a skillet pan with taco seasoning and green chilies. I’m not sure if you knew this, but along with my milk allergy I am also allergic to beef. Turns out there are 10% of people who are so allergic to milk that they are also allergic to beef, and I’m one of them. (Gee whiz, aren’t I lucky…) That means it’s ground turkey in this household.

While the meat was cooking, prep the vegetables. I thawed out frozen corn in the microwave, then chopped lettuce, carrots, red pepper, scallions (only the green part) and cilantro.

Once the vegetables are prepped, make the dressing. I love to make dressings in mason jars because you pour it all in and shake it up. (I can’t take credit for that idea. I was inspired by one of my favorite Food Network chefs, Ree Drummond :)). Add the lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cilantro to the mason jar, screw on the lid, and shake to combine.

A final, optional step is to fry a few corn tortilla strips. A shortcut for this is to use tortilla chips crushed up, or buy tortilla strips already fried. If you’re not looking for the crunch (or the fat) then just leave them off.

With all of the components prepped, you are ready to create your salad. Add all of the ingredients into the bowl, top with your ground turkey, toss with the dressing and you are ready to roll. If you chose to use the tortilla strips or chips, add those after the dressing to keep them nice and crunchy.

Well, there it is, my scrumptious Taco Salad, made a lot lighter and cleaner. I hope you all enjoy!

Made this recipe? Let me see- tag us on Instagram @navigatingtheallergiclife or #navigatingtheallergiclife!

Low-FODMAP Taco Salad

This salad is refreshing and light, filled with clean produce and lean protein.  All ingredients are low-FODMAP in their amounts.

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup canned green chilies
  • 2 tbsp low-FODMAP taco seasoning
  • 4 cups torn green lettuce
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
  • 1 red pepper diced
  • 2 carrots peeled and diced
  • 4 scallions (green part only) chopped
  • 1/2 cup fried corn tortilla strips optional

Cilantro Lime Dressing

  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime juiced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Instructions

  1. Brown ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink.  Add taco seasoning, 1/4 cup of water, and green chilies.  Saute for 2-3 minutes.

  2. Meanwhile, prep the vegetables.  Wash and tear lettuce, and diced red pepper, carrots, and scallions.  Thaw frozen corn in the microwave. 

  3. To make the dressing, chop 2 TBSP of cilantro and add it to the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Mix well.  

  4. If adding the tortilla strips, make sure to fry these as well.  Otherwise crush tortilla chips or leave this component out.

  5. Assembling the salad: Add lettuce, red pepper, carrots, corn, scallions and ground turkey to a large serving bowl.  Toss with dressing.  Top with fried tortilla strips.